background

Thursday 27 October 2016

The lost skills of make do and mend

I've had a few issues recently with various items of clothing for both me and the lil bird, small things like hems coming down or trousers being too long. I've been genuinely stunned to discover how many people will just return items for this, or throw out a shirt that has lost a button. What happened to Make do and Mend? When did we become a throwaway society? The husbeast laughed when I said I was going to use an old shirt of his to cut down for the kid, yet he was pleased that the fabric was being given new life. Hell, it's a standing joke in my family that I'll cut up old curtains to make dresses. I'm not saying we should all be seamstresses or tailors, but simple skills such as hemming and sewing on a button are really useful and should be taught in school, but for those who weren't taught, here are a couple of tutorials for basic skills.

How to sew on a button

How to turn up trousers

and in the spirit of Make do and mend, here are 29 ways you can makeover and use a man's shirt


No comments:

Post a Comment