background

Thursday 3 November 2016

Service With A Smile

During my pregnancy I looked at the information available to me and decided that I wanted to try breastfeeding. I've been lucky and have a lot of support. My journey is a whole other post waiting to be written, but being a vintage fashion mama when you are both breastfeeding and plus size isn't easy at all. For a start, there's very little to find in store...you are pretty much limited to online shopping. Then there's sizing. No two companies seem to use the same damn size chart! This is particularly frustrating post partum, when most women's bodies are in a state of flux anyway. After spending a small fortune on both feeding friendly clothes and return postage, I decided to regal you with some of the service experiences I've had. 

See in the social media age, good customer service is more important than ever. It takes just minutes for that pissed off customer's tweet to go viral and contrary to popular opinion, not all publicity is good! The vintage world is still relatively small and it takes even less time for word to get around. I'm glad to say that my experiences have been predominantly good. I've discovered a couple of new to me brands and most of them have been fantastic. Not all though. I'm going to stick to my primary teaching roots and follow the "2 stars and a wish" format today, and all items pictured or mentioned have been bought and paid for by me and I've deliberately chosen companies where I've had a slight issue, so I can compare and contrast their approach to a problem. 

First up is the UK's own Voodoo Vixen  I discovered them through the lovely Atomic Amber and was thrilled to find they'd recently updated their "curve" plus size line. Over two orders I bought two gorgeous embroidered cardigans and and two dresses. The first order had just one cardigan, which came so quickly, and was such lovely quality that I went back to try a little more. However, after 10 days had passed without this order arriving, I got a little concerned and called them to see if the package had been mailed. I spoke to the lovely Jag who could not have been more helpful (or apologetic). Less than 24 hours after my call confirmed that the package had gone missing, I had a replacement my doorstep. Both dresses were gorgeous and great quality. Sadly one is going back as the buttons on the front don't actually work, but I've told the hubs he needs to take me out so I can wear the other soon 😉
 

Next on my list is The Oblong Box Shop , in the United States. I ordered 2 of their quintessential blouses, as I am really struggling to find affordable button front blouses with a retro feel. I desperately covet the gorgeous one from The Seamstress of Bloomsbury, but sadly she doesn't do ginormous milk truck sized ones. Within a few days of placing my order I received a stock email stating "your package has been delivered, please let us know if you haven't received it". So I let them know. They replied to say that the tracking claimed it was delivered to my address. Naturally, I responded politely, explaining that this was inaccurate. I also explained I'd had issues in the past where USPS claimed the item had been delivered...when all they'd done was handover to their U.K. Counterparts. It can take up to a month for a USPS parcel to get to me. Their response to this was pretty rubbish. They told me that the tracking said it was delivered and that once that occurred it was no longer their problem. They even said that they thought my packages were being stolen! To add insult to injury, when the blouses finally arrived, the sizing was totally off. Despite ordering a size 46"-48" chest, they were a good 4"-5" from being able to button up. I'm a uk 22 in the chest, and my size 14 mama is wearing one of the blouses in the picture below. There wasn't much extra room at all! Given their previous attitude and the cost of returning to the US, I guess I'm just going to have to try to sell them on in a B/S/T group.
 

Finally I've bought a few items from Miss Candyfloss  a Swedish based company. Oh the lovelies they have! I desperately want most of their new Librarian a girl collection. I feel like a bloody goddess in my trouser jumpsuit from there. I found them super helpful when I contacted them to ask which of their clothes had working buttons on the front and which would be most accessible for breastfeeding. The kind staffer who replied gave me a comprehensive list of styles to check out. However, the trousers I bought had some stitching missing from the crotch (that was embarrassing as I didn't notice until I'd worn them all day 🙄) I contacted the company and they replied quickly with an offer to replace. When I explained that it was an easy fix and I'd already sewn it, they gave me a discount code for my next order. They could not have been more helpful and the quality of their fabrics is fantastic. They are fast to respond, as well as ship and I cannot fault their service. I also cannot wait to have a few more pennies so I can use my discount code to order some of their dresses...and we won't mention the stunning silver jumpsuit that's just waiting to fall into my basket 😉 oh why must maternity pay be so low 😭
 

Three different experiences, three different countries and three different outcomes. Thoroughly recommend both MC and VV, but if I were you, I'd be wary about TOBS. What brands have you found that are fab? Can any of you help me find that elusive retro button front blouse? 

And a final plea to clothiers. Please state in your item description if the buttons work or not! It makes all the difference to us boobyfeeding mamas!

No comments:

Post a Comment