background

Friday 12 March 2010

It's a waiting game




So those of you who've read the this blog from the start, or who know me in the 'real' world, will know that I've not had a great time over the last year or so. It seems like just as you get one thing going right, another will go wrong to take it's place.

I now know what's wrong with my heart, and on Wednesday I started a new med to try to control the problem. Things were going well for a change, then Thursday dawned. I was sluggish, and tired and really didn't want to get out of bed that day, but I managed it and even made it out of the house for a walk. I was happily daydreaming about buying a big house, as I wandered through the gorgeous show homes on my estate, when my phone rang. Mum...again...well that's what I thought, except instead of gabbling away with the in's and out's of her day she said the words that every child hates to hear.

'Your Granda's not very well, we're waiting for the doctor now'. It's that call, the one that plunges your heart to your feet, before dragging it up to reside in your throat. It's even worse when you live so far away and you can't instantly drop everything to head to his bedside. You sit gazing at the phone, half of you willing it to ring, the other half scared to answer when it does ring.

Granda, has had another heart attack and is now in the hopsital. There is something 'off' with his heart. That is in fact the current technical term the docs are using, so obviously I'm very reassured. I'm even more reassured, because when I called the ward to speak to him, the nurse told him I was my mum, then tried to tell me he was 'confused' when she thought he was using the wrong name for his daughter. Isn't it reassuring to know that the NHS service is just as crap in NI as it is here in England?

So what do you do when you're waiting around for the phone to ring and are trying not to brood? Me? I bake! After all, stressed, is desserts spelt backwards and I find baking something sweet the quickest way to chill myself out. So I flipped the switch on the oven and trawled through the thousands of recipes I have for something new to try. I came up with these vampire cookies, a recent find for a swap I'm involved with over on ravelry.

They were really simple to put together and as you'll see from the pics they turned out ok... well I think they did.

Even more importantly, they killed the time I need to kill. Mum has just rung to say that the hospital are releasing him, and letting him go home. Unstable angina, brought on by the smorgasbord of tablets they had him on, so they're cutting a lot of the meds out for the future.

So my wonderful, funny, caring, amazing grandfather is on the mend, thank God. It may be mothers day this weekend guys, but don't forget the Granmas and Grandas that brought your mothers into this world. Appreciate every minute you have with them, for they are very precious and are gone far too quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment