background

Saturday 24 April 2010

I'm walking on sunshine

Isn't it glorious?

God I love the sunshine! Life is brighter and clearer, it's easier to get out of bed in the mornings, and walking to work is just a joy.

That's right folks, I'm back to work, and I've had a fab week. I can't believe how much all my cherubs have grown while I've been away, and it seems that some of them have even missed me as much as I have missed them.

The one thing my long illness has taught me, is that life, and particularly your health, is a very precious commodity and we need to take more care with it. With this is mind, I decided to spend some of my Easter holidays figuring out ways to reduce my stress and my work load. I needed to find more balance in my life.

My first big decision was to keep weekends sacred. No more marking, or planning or worrying about the small fry on a saturday or sunday. This was quickly followed with work ends at 5pm. No more staying in my classroom til 6pm, then carrying on working at home after tea. If it's not done by 5pm, it needs to wait until the next day.


If these decisions were going to be viable I needed to get organised, so I sacrficed two days and went into work. I tidied the classroom, throwing away the junk left by multiple supply teachers and the general detritus you find in the wake of 9yr old children. With a clean fresh room, I turned my attention to getting the cupboards in order and getting a jump on the term's planning.

I was lucky enough to have my teaching assistant give up some of her time to come in and work with me and between us we got the first few weeks sorted out. It made such a huge difference to know that I was riding the wave of work, rather than drowning under it.

So starting back was that little bit easier and the children were mostly on their best behaviour. As always when children ar involved, comedy is never far behind. I love the funny little things that I hear and this week has been no exception.

I was teaching about negative numbers, using money and overdrafts to try to make it relevant to real life. I stood at the board and said "I have £10 in my account and I spend £25 at amazon, what am I left with?" Quick as a flash, one of my world weary 9 yr olds said "Debt! That's when the loan sharks come in!"

On Friday, I was really pleased to see all hands in the air, and every child getting involved. I was teaching French and we were just starting to learn about telling the time. The children were suggesting words we would need to learn like midday, midnight, afternoon etc. All was going well until I asked Bob to share his word with the class.

"Miss Glass! That man over there is in the shower and you can see EVERYTHING!!!!"

Yup, my classroom overlooks a side road and it seems we can see right into the house on the end. You would think that since they overlook a school they'd have checked their windows were sufficiently frosted, but apparently this was not the case.

I love my job!!

1 comment:

  1. i couldn't agree with you more on all accounts--life definitely becomes more precious one you have health issues. weekends should definitely be sacred. though you could get away with just a bit of work if you needed to! hope you've been able to keep up with your plan to destress your life. :)

    ReplyDelete