background

Sunday 23 May 2010

The best things in life are free

Or at least, everyone seems to think they are! This weekend the summer appeared for a brief, shining, glorious few days and so I seized the moment. I spent saturday gutting out my flat, packed up my car, and dragged my ass out of bed at the ungodly hour of 5.45am this morning. My Destination? The local car boot sale. I had been assured that the picking were rich, and that people would buy anything, so I had selected a wide range of items to sell to Joe Public.

I had two friends with me, and we arrived at the sale grounds in a heavily weighed down cavalcade about 6.40 this morning. I hadn't even turn off the engine of the car when there was a tap on my window. 'I look at your stuff!' ' I see what you sell!' Seriously! These guys were like locusts, peering in the windows of the car, trying to pull at the contents of the bags as I got them out of the car. Being as I am far from being a morning person, they got a pretty short shrift. I sent them packing, with a curt 'come back when I've unpacked'.

Once they were out from under my feet, I got the stuff out nice and quickly. I kicked back in the chair I'd actually remembered to bring along, whipped out the knitting and relaxed in the bright monring sun. I didn't get to relax long, before the Vultures returned. I get haggling, and honestly? I quite enjoy it it, but these guys weren't haggling, they were just plain rude. They'd ask the price of an item, I'd give them my first quote, but no matter how high I started they'd just go '50p'. Dude, these were brand new shoes, with the label still on, that cost £40 to buy in the shop. Not a freaking chance love. They'd come back every 20 mins or so, clearly thinking they could wear me down. One lady Vulture was not amused when she returned to find the handbag she had coveted had been sold. 'what price you sell at?' ummm the same one I quoted you originally love.

The vultures weren't the only ones though. I know there is a credit crunch, but these people seemed to want something for nothing. No matter how cheap it already was, they wanted it cheaper. There were times when I felt like asking if they wanted me to open a vein while I was there since they were already ripping me off.

While I had fun with my friends, I don't think I'll be doing it again for quite a while. It was an awful lot of work, for very little return. I came home with almost as much as I left with, and immediately put the lot of it on freecycle. I guess I'm not destined to be a Delboy anytime soon ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment