background

Monday 10 May 2010

where has this year gone?

It's been nearly a year since I finally let my mum teach me to knit...again. Mum is an amazing knitter, creating gorgeous traditional Irish arans off the top of her head. How could anyone compete with that?

Back when I was a school girl in Northern Ireland, it was compulsory for both boys and girls to knit something each year, though the only thing I can remember doing was a very badly knitted bear. I really didn't like knitting back then and I was very relieved when I moved to secondary school and I was able to give it up.

Six years later, with the long summer holidays stretching before me, I decided to teach myself to crochet. I figured that since Mum didn't do it, I would be able to learn at my own pace, and not have to live up to the high standard she had set. I picked it up really quickly and thoroughly enjoyed seeing pretty lacy finished items flowing off my hooks.

I've crocheted off and on over the last sixteen years mainly cos I find it such a relaxing pasttime. Last summer, I discovered Ravelry, and my eyes were opened. I was a mere neophyte, nothing but a dabbler in the art. The many varied projects there were works of art, and more importantly, their range of patterns was vast. Way beyond my scope of imagination that's for sure.

Seeing the many beautiful objects on offer there, I decided it was time to get over my aversion to knitting. Mum had planned a visit to my place, and when she arrived we took a wander up the High Street to the LYS. One set of needles and a ball of sock yarn later, we strolled back down the street and my lessons began.

Perhaps becuase of my many years crocheting, I took to knitting quite well. Granted it's a whole new language, and sometimes it's far from straight forward, but I do really enjoy it. I started out small with scarves and fingerless mitts, and have worked my way up to shawls.

For mum's birthday this year, I knitted her a lace shawl. It was the hardest thing I'd tried, and to call it a labour of love would be an understatement. I cried over that thing, and sweated, and cursed, but I persevered and was thrilled with the final result.

I love knitting lace patterns, and I love the way blocking the project can make such a huge difference to the finished item. However, having started a new lace project, I've discovered something new about myself. I hate knitting with lace weight yarn. It's like knitting with thread! I'm using the most gorgeous yarn created by Jen over at Fresh From The Cauldron, and the colours are the only thing keeping me going with this wrap. I can't wait for it to be finished!

www.ravelry.com

1 comment:

  1. the shawl you made for your mother is absolutely stunning! i love knitting lace patterns too. :)

    ReplyDelete